Under eye circles are caused by numerous factors including lack of sleep, anemia and even genetics. However, our diet is a big factor too. Here are some foods and supplements that could lessen the appearance of under eye circles.
1. Berries: Dark colored berries have anthocynin, which is an antioxidant that improves blood flow to the eye and supplies oxygen to the tissues around it.
2. Tomatoes: Tomatoes contain lycopene, an antioxidant that helps protect blood vessels and assists in blood circulation. They also contain an anti-inflammatory agent called quercetin that also aids in protecting the blood vessels and increasing blood flow.
3. Watermelon: Watermelon has a high water content and hydration is a key factor in reducing under eye circles. It also has lycopene, which protects the blood vessels as we age.
4. Sesame Seeds: These are high in Vitamin E, which increases collagen production and helps prevent the formation of under eye circles.
5. Spinach: Spinach is rich in Vitamin K, which helps alleviate the dark color under your eyes. It also has iron, which helps combat anemia to increase blood circulation.
6. Omega-3: Sun exposure can worsen under eye circles and omega-3 helps combat the negative effects of UV rays. It also helps fight allergies that can cause dark circles as well as increase blood flow to the eyes.
7. B12: Studies have shown that people deficient in B12 greatly benefited from taking this vitamin and that their under eye circles improved significantly.
8. Vitamin C: They say vitamin C is more helpful in reducing under eye circles than a chemical peel! It helps reverse photo-damage and increases collagen production.
Try adding the above foods and supplements to your diet and hopefully it will lead to more youthful and brighter eyes.