Summertime means sunshine, swimming, BBQs, and traveling, but it could also mean heat rashes, sunburn and dehydrated skin. Here are some tips to protect your skin from the hot Summer sun.
1. Keep your skin clean. During the Summer we tend to sweat a lot. This can trap dirt and dust in our sweat ducts and pores, which can then lead to itchy rashes, blisters and acne. Bathing more often or using a gentle, anti-microbial cleanser can help avoid this.
2. Avoid tanning. Exposure to the sun's rays for prolonged periods of time can cause damage to the skin. It can cause premature aging and even skin cancer so make sure to cover up and use a sunscreen of at least SPF 30.
3. Stay hydrated. Since we sweat more in the Summer we lose water more quickly from our bodies. Water is essential to keep our skin healthy. Dehydrated skin can look red, flakey and dull. To keep our skin looking fresh and radiant, drink an adequate amount of water throughout the day to replace any water loss from excess sweating.
4. Avoid using products that make your skin more sensitive right before sun exposure. This includes retinols, hydroquinone, citrus oils, harsh exfoliating agents, and antibacterial treatments.
5. Don't forget your lips! Use a lip balm or lipstick that contains SPF to protect against UVA and UVB radiation.
Now that you have the tools to keep your skin protected all throughout Summer, go and enjoy your pina colada by the beach and remember to always love yourself from head to toe!